Wednesday 12 October 2011

More than cooking and cleaning!

Being a homemaker is more than cooking and cleaning. It is also about taking care of your family, no matter how large or small. It is about spending sleepless nights with the crying baby and still being able to get the older children off to school in the morning. It is about showing your affection for your spouse and your children by hugs, kisses and "I love you's". I grew up in a home where affection was rarely shown; a trend I broke with my little family. My children and partner are told on a daily basis (several times over) how much I love them. They are also treated with respect and expected to respect others; a skill so many children lack in this day and age.

Kids remember the games played at the kitchen table and the home-baked birthday cakes more than the presents they received. Making good memories with your family is so important; and taking pictures and recording the fun in a scrapbook is priceless. I do have to admit I have been neglectful of my scrapbooking but the pictures are still being taken. I have hundreds of pictures on my computer; it will soon be time to print them out and add pages to my scrapbook.

My children have always had friends over for sleepovers; I feel honored as this shows me my parenting and homemaking skills are valued. Plus, the cookies don't hurt either. I would rather have my kids bringing their friends home than being out and about getting into mischief. Having things for them to do keeps them busy and entertained. Living in the country gives the town kids something new to see and do; my daughter's friends love going out to see the animals.

For those just starting out, take the pictures to preserve the memories. Don't stop there; invest in some scrapbook supplies and record the holidays, birthdays and even just some random things. The scrapbook may be as simple or elaborate as you wish; guys, this means you too. My favorite part of scrapbooking is journalling; I can tell my story while it is fresh in my mind so when I am older I just have to read to jog my memory of the day. For those who have children, get them involved in the process; it won't be long before they are on their own and making their own memories and traditions.

A final note: start a new tradition by having a family game night or a scrappy Saturday. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment