Monday 28 November 2011

Writing as a Homemaker


I have been a member of Ezine Articles for several months now. A couple weeks ago they posted a contest on Facebook, and luckily I was the first one to answer their question correctly. My prize? A very nice leather bound journal, with their logo on the front cover. Plus, a very smooth writing pen! I was so excited when I won, and moreso when the package arrived in the mail today. Thank you Ezine Articles!

Being a homemaker for over twenty years has taught me more skills than any one job ever did. I have learned to budget both time and money; do laundry; wash dishes; cook; fix a leaky tap; unclog a toilet; care for children; live on less; sew; crochet; clean anything and everything; change oil in a vehicle; fix an extension cord; put up blinds; winterize a home - and the list goes on. Being able to write about all of these things is truly an experience in itself. 


Writing has very much become a part of my daily routine. Some days I write on my blog, other days I write articles. My books are also at the top of my writing list almost each and every day. As I spend more time writing, I learn more as well. I have learned more about writing and self-publishing in the past year and a half than I had ever known. In all honesty, the last six months has been the biggest learning curve.

In addition to writing articles, my blog and my books I have also written a couple of patterns I designed. That was a challenge in itself, as the patterns have to be written clearly so the beginner can follow the directions. It is all too easy for an experienced crochet artist to skip steps while writing instructions, as they know all the steps. One such pattern is for my Fingerless Gloves. I had to make sure I put in each step I took, even though it was second nature to me when I made them.

I aim to teach new homemakers the skills I have learned over my 40+ years, and making crafts is just as much a part of being a homemaker as cooking and cleaning is. My designs are aimed toward the practical aspects and can be completed in a relatively short time. I have learned to start small and simple, then try more complicated patterns or ways of doing things once the simple has been mastered. More complicated allows for a challenge, while simple gives us the skills we need along the way. My advice for anyone starting something new is to start small. I have been guilty of taking on a huge project (hence my learning small and simple is best to begin with) only to be frustrated when it did not progress as quickly as anticipated.

A little bit of advice for those of you just joining me: listen to what I have to say. Most of what I have learned has been the hard way, so when I suggest a way to go about doing something, keep in mind that was probably not the way I first did it. It is okay to do things the easy way, as long as it doesn't cut necessary corners. Enjoy the new things you will learn and don't be afraid to modify anything to suit your personal circumstances.

Have a great day!

Diane




No comments:

Post a Comment