Monday 19 December 2011

Work at Home

As I was looking into some Work at Home programs, I came across one that looks promising. I am always on the lookout for a legitimate way to supplement my income, so do some searching on a regular basis. I am insistent on being able to continue my freelancing, but as many know, it doesn't always pay the bills. It is good to find something to subsidize my freelancing and help me achieve my financial goals faster.

Home Based Working Moms is an association aimed at helping moms (and dads) stay at home with their children and contribute to the family income. There are different programs available, including an affiliate program which is free to join. If you are unsure if working at home is for you there is a Work at Home Kit available to help with determining what is right for you.

I personally enjoy working from home. I am available for my family when need be and I save money on fuel. I encourage anyone who is contemplating making a change to consider all the options. Working from home is rewarding, but you also have to be able to walk away from your work and do other things. This is why it is beneficial to have an office/workroom with a door that can be closed. It is all too easy to spend all hours of the day working - self discipline is a must. I am guilty of sitting at my computer writing at all hours of the day or night, but am trying hard to separate my work time from family time. I do have a very supportive partner and children but do tend to spend a little more time at my computer than I should.

My son gives me a hard time about it sometimes, but I don't mind. He knows I enjoy what I do but doesn't want me spending my entire day at the computer. I have started reading Under the Dome by Stephen King at his request; lately my reading has consisted of marketing, writing and publishing books so this is a nice change. I sometimes get caught up in my work but have to remember to practice what I preach.

Recreational reading is a great way to relax, as is pursuing a hobby. It is important to take time for yourself even when the temptation to continue working is there. If possible, keep your work area away from your living area. I am unable to do just that at this point in time as our home is just over 900 square feet and there is no separate office space for me. I have claimed a portion of the room between our kitchen and living room, and my crochet and sewing spill into the living room and bedroom.

I have gone off topic just a bit, but the point I'm trying to make is do your research and find what works for you. I wouldn't change what I do for anything. If you need a little extra help deciding what will work for you, then spend the few dollars to get that help. If it points you in the right direction and gives you the means to start and build a successful business, then it is worth every penny.

For anyone interested in a writing career, please visit my Writer Worries blog for some helpful advice. Was this post helpful? Please comment below.

Thanks and have a great day!

Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment