Tuesday 13 December 2011

Homemade Oreo Cookies

With Christmas baking getting into high gear, why not try some Homemade Oreo Cookies? They are very tasty and must be hidden from family members if you want them to last until Christmas. The hardest part is hiding them from yourself, especially if you have very little willpower (like me).

You will need:

4 chocolate cake mixes
8 eggs
2 cups of oil

Filling:

2 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
1 cup margarine
5 cups of icing sugar

Directions:

  1. Mix the first 3 ingredients together by hand. (I found using the dough hooks with my stand mixer to work well.)
  2. Roll into balls and place on a metal baking sheet. (I did not have much luck using my stoneware pan for these; and that is all I usually use for cookies. Needless to say, the first dozen cookies were messed up.)
  3. Bake in a 350F oven for 8 - 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and tap hot pan on the counter to flatten the cookies. Let cool slightly and transfer to a cooling rack.
  5. Mix the filling ingredients together. 
  6. When the cookies are cool place a teaspoon full of filling between two cookies (flat sides together) and gently press together to spread filling.
  7. Hide cookies from the family until Christmas!
You can of course bake them any other time as well; they are a hit anytime. This recipe was adapted from one I made from the 4H Cookbook. I doubled the recipe as the single only made about 30 cookies.

Enjoy your cookies and have a great day!

Diane

p.s. Try them with other cake mixes and let me know what you think in the comments section. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment